I’ve been traveling enough to know how crucial a leader is in the success of a tour. You put your trust in them to show you the good stuff and take care of any logistical bumps. I found out that Gap Adventures calls their tour leaders CEOs: Chief Experience Officers. I liked that. In addition to letting you know that they are in charge, it told me something about the importance the company places in delivering a good travel experience. And, our tour leader, Govind, didn’t disappoint. Here are 5 ways he made our tour traveling through Rajasthan, India, unforgettable.
- First, Govind made sure we got around with ease including helping us negotiate our tuk-tuk fares.
- Govind was a font of knowledge, not only about the sites we visited, but also stopping in the streets at food stands and markets to explain what we were finding.
- We passed through several markets in India. Govind stopped to help us do a little shopping and gave us a taste of the local mangos, lychees and coconuts.
- When we needed it, Govind provided a gentle, but firm hand to keep us on track. Food proved to be the most effective incentive for us.
- But, what really endeared us to Govind, is that he wasn’t afraid to let his hair down by getting us involved in a pick-up cricket game or after hours by showing us his Bollywood moves.
The B-Side of Our Tour Leader
I don’t have much to add to what I said above. I just want to thank Govind for a terrific time. Thanks for creating such a great tour atmosphere and helping enable a great group dynamic. While we’re not all in contact on a daily basis, most of us are all still connected up and write from time to time.
Disclosure: I am serving as the Gap Adventures media spokesman for career break travel. While this series is part of a broader campaign to raise awareness about career break travel, all opinions, tips and advice are mine.